Author, Painter, PhotographerEric Hoffer Book Award Winner
National Indie Excellence Book Awards Finalist (past)Pushcart Prize Nominee
Global eBook Awards Nominee2014 National Indie Excellence Book Awards FinalistGlobal eBook Awards BronzeGlobal eBook Awards SilverBlog: http://www.marydeal.comArt Gallery: http://www.MaryDealFineArt.com
Gift Gallery: zazzle.com/IslandImageGallery*Gift Gallery: http://www.redbubble.com/ people/localme
Monday, January 30, 2017
The First Time Writer by Mary Deal
Some people seem unable to get a first story started no matter how many exciting plots they have rattling around in the attic. The advice given in some articles is meant to motivate would-be authors to begin. That same advice is sought by those already established in their careers and wishing to improve their talents.
· have a story when you begin and then finish writing it.
· develop your voice after you begin to write.
· thoroughly understand character development when you realize how much fun it is to create story people.
· learn all aspects of building a story. It happens naturally as you recognize your need to know more about composition.
· learn to edit your work to perfection and will realize that the editing process begins from the moment you start to formulate sentences, paragraphs and then chapters.
· discover ways to polish your prose and make it uniquely yours.
· learn how to promote yourself even if thinking yourself a wallflower.
However, none of this can happen unless you reach the point of starting that first story. I would love to hear success stories from anyone who was helped by the advice in this book. I would wish everyone luck, but it’s not a matter of luck. It’s a matter of letting go of all the reasons for not writing and then getting started. It’s as simple as that.
Mary Deal is an award-winning author of suspense/thrillers, a short story collection, writers' references, and self-help. She is a Pushcart Prize nominee, Artist and Photographer, and former newspaper columnist and magazine editor.
She has traveled most of her life and has a lifetime of many and diverse experiences, all of which remain in memory as fodder for her fiction. A native of California's Sacramento River Delta, where some of her stories are set, she has also lived in England, the Caribbean, and now resides in Honolulu, Hawaii. Having traveled a bit, she continues to paint and use her art and photography to create gorgeous products.
LINK TO AMAZON AUTHOR PAGE:
LINK TO SMASHWORDS AUTHOR PAGE:
When looking for a subject to write about, ideas are everywhere. Sitting on a bench in the park you have sights and sounds. Take ...
Let the Dial...
Author intrusion is something I saw a bit of in new writers’ manuscripts when I did a lot of editing. A story is usually told thr...
Tip #1 – Store Your Notes Usually when I see great writing tips, I have a file set up in Word called - what else? Writing Tips. You s...