Author, Painter, PhotographerEric Hoffer Book Award Winner
National Indie Excellence Book Awards Finalist (past)Pushcart Prize Nominee
Global eBook Awards Nominee2014 National Indie Excellence Book Awards FinalistGlobal eBook Awards BronzeGlobal eBook Awards SilverBlog: http://www.marydeal.comArt Gallery: http://www.MaryDealFineArt.com
Gift Gallery: zazzle.com/IslandImageGallery*Gift Gallery: http://www.redbubble.com/ people/localme
Monday, January 30, 2017
The First Time Writer by Mary Deal
Some people seem unable to get a first story started no matter how many exciting plots they have rattling around in the attic. The advice given in some articles is meant to motivate would-be authors to begin. That same advice is sought by those already established in their careers and wishing to improve their talents.
· have a story when you begin and then finish writing it.
· develop your voice after you begin to write.
· thoroughly understand character development when you realize how much fun it is to create story people.
· learn all aspects of building a story. It happens naturally as you recognize your need to know more about composition.
· learn to edit your work to perfection and will realize that the editing process begins from the moment you start to formulate sentences, paragraphs and then chapters.
· discover ways to polish your prose and make it uniquely yours.
· learn how to promote yourself even if thinking yourself a wallflower.
However, none of this can happen unless you reach the point of starting that first story. I would love to hear success stories from anyone who was helped by the advice in this book. I would wish everyone luck, but it’s not a matter of luck. It’s a matter of letting go of all the reasons for not writing and then getting started. It’s as simple as that.
Mary Deal is an award-winning author of suspense/thrillers, a short story collection, writers' references, and self-help. She is a Pushcart Prize nominee, Artist and Photographer, and former newspaper columnist and magazine editor.
She has traveled most of her life and has a lifetime of many and diverse experiences, all of which remain in memory as fodder for her fiction. A native of California's Sacramento River Delta, where some of her stories are set, she has also lived in England, the Caribbean, and now resides in Honolulu, Hawaii. Having traveled a bit, she continues to paint and use her art and photography to create gorgeous products.
LINK TO AMAZON AUTHOR PAGE:
LINK TO SMASHWORDS AUTHOR PAGE:
The rules of grammar are to, first, benefit a reader. Grammar is standard format to which good writers will adhere. Secondly, it provid...
Prize: Autographed copy of I Passed This Way by Patricia Crandall (a book of poetry), and a New York Bestseller under $25.00. Write a...
I once read an article/editorial from Jeff Rivers, an expert in writing query letters in the late, great Dan Poynter’s newsletter. It...
How marketing channels will change this year? The social media platforms are constantly evolving around the needs and prefe...